Sunday, April 18, 2010

power problems

If it isn't one thing, it is definitely another. You try your best to roll with the punches when living in Cameroon. :) Today it was power. Now, our power goes out quite frequently. Every night it blinks on and off. Almost like someone is standing at the main power breaker for all of the Northwest province flipping it up and down while erupting in evil laughter. Annoying for sure, but it doesn't, for the most part, interrupt our daily life. Then, they will often announce on the radios that there will be an all day cut in power and it will return at 5 p.m. Of course we know that their 5 p.m. actually means 7 or 8 p.m. Well, yesterday we woke up and the power was out. I didn't think much of it. I knew that it wasn't a storm b/c we had been through that big storm and the power came back on after all was said and done. After lunch however, I noticed that Yeiters were online. That meant they had power. Hmmmm, we still didn't. She informed me that the power had been on since 11. I was like, "what?!?" That meant...no power for us. Ben went around and checked with our neighbors and they too were without power. So, it is just our quarter we decided. After dinner checked once again, and we had power but it was running at around 160...when it should be 220. So, we didn't dare turn the house on. We are running on our generator until bed time. We decided that at bedtime we will turn the house back on, but unplug everything (electronics, appliances etc.) and just turn our water heaters on. So, hopefully we can get a hot shower in the morning! :)

My picture for the day...Drew putting together his "bone guy." He got this as a gift from Mimi. He loves science and loves this bone guy too. He thinks it is pretty cool learning about all the different bones in our body. Yesterday I bought a digital element pack by Jacque Larson over at Lillypad (a digital store) and it is all about bones. The designer hand drew all the different skeleton parts and used them to teach her daughter. I thought it would be great to use them to scrap a page for Drew with his bone guy, and also to make up a little learning tool...print the different pieces and let him put the guy together on paper. We will see if I ever get to that :)

2 comments:

Marleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marleen said...

I remember those power problems. The first time I came to visit I bathed the kids every night by kerosene lantern. I felt like I was on Little House on the Prairie. I am glad that Drew likes his skeleton. It is a great learning tool.

Post a Comment