Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wed. night is date night...usually I make stromboli, but I had a hankerin' for some bean burritos. Bean burritos means a lot of work, so I don't do it too often. I started earlier than normal by putting my beans in the pressure cooker along with some onion and garlic. While those were cooking I made my tortilla dough.
I let that sit...while heating up my tortilla press. For several years I rolled my tortillas by hand, but my friend, Susan, did the research and found a tortilla maker that she absolutely loved. I tried it out one time and decided I had to get one for myself. It makes the tortilla making process SO much faster!

After my beans were done cooking, I ran them through a grinder so they'd get mashed up well. Then, I put them in a cast iron skillet, added some of the juice from cooking, some cilantro flavored bouillion cubes, some cream cheese, salt and let it cook for a while on low. While that was cooking I started working on my tortillas. Here is my beautiful press:
I must say that dinner was a success. Slap some of those beans and some shredded cheddar onto that tortilla and it is MmmmMmmm good!

5 comments:

Jeremy/Kim Sykes said...

Your posts have been making me hungry lately! Glad you guys had a yummy dinner and a good night :)

kmkarayannis said...

Those look GREAT!!! Making your own tortillas puts you on a pretty high culinary plane in my opinion!

Marleen said...

You'll have to make these for us when we come. It looks great.

Melanie said...

Wow! Those look so yummy! Frying some frozen potstickers was as fancy as I got for our date night lol Though I imagine the process of cooking is a bit different where you are :)

Kelli said...

Wow Becca, I must say that is not quite what I was imagining for bean burritos. I was asking, "now why in the world would they take that long?" Um, now I see. But wow, do they sound and look yummo!!!

Post a Comment